ECOVACS Founded in Suzhou, China, by Qian Dong and originally called TEK Electrical Company with a vision to bring the convenience and efficiency of robotic devices to the home. With a focus on research and development and laden with engineering talent, it wasn’t until 2006, eight years after the company’s founding, that their first robotic vacuum came to the market.
That vision, to see a robot for every family, has led Ecovacs to become an industry leader. In the US, Ecovacs has captured a significant share of the market and now ranks among the best selling robotic vacuums. Consumers report that Ecovacs robotic vacuums are as good as or surpass the competing vacuums at a much more affordable price.
Learn more about other brands:
Ecovacs divides its model lines based on features and technologies. The models have evolved over time and the current lineup offers you a robotic vacuum with the features that you want at a price you can afford.
|Feature||DEEBOT N78||DEEBOT N79S||DEEBOT N79W+||DEEBOT 500||DEEBOT 901||DEEBOT OZMO 920||DEEBOT OZMO 950||DEEBOT 661|
|Dimensions||13.9 x 13.9 x 3.3 in.||33 x 33 x 7.8 in.||13 x 13 x 3.1 in.||12.9 x 12.9 x 3.1 in.||13.9 x 13.9 x 3.3 in.||13.7 x 13.7 x 3.7 in.||13.7 x 13.7 x 3.7 in.||13.1 x 13.1 x 3.1 in.|
|Weight||9.7 lbs.||7.05 lbs.||6.7 lbs.||4.4 lbs.||9.7 lbs.||6.7 lbs.||6.7 lbs.||7.49 lbs.|
|Navigation Technology||Random||Random||Random||Random||Smart Navi™ 3.0 (Laser)||Smart Navi™ 3.0 (Laser)||Smart Navi™ 3.0 (Laser)||Smart Motion + Random|
|Max Run Time||110 min.||110 min.||110 min.||110 min.||100 min.||110 min.||200 min.||110 min.|
For the Budget Minded Shopper: Ecovacs Deebot N-Series Robotic Vacuums N78, N79S, and the N79W
The N-Series of robotic vacuums from Ecovacs is the entry-level robotic vacuums. Don’t confuse entry-level with cheap. While the price point on the N-Series of vacuums from Ecovacs is at the lower end of the price scale, the features and efficiency of these robotic vacuums keep them popular with consumers
Ecovacs Deebot N78
The Deebot N78 is probably the least expensive combo robotic vacuum and mop on the market. If you want the convenience of a robotic vacuum that can vacuum carpets and damp mop your hard surface floors at a budget price, the Deebot N78 deserves a look.
Being a budget vacuum, the Deebot N78 lacks some features that many homeowners want in a robotic vacuum. Most notably, the N78 lacks any Wi-Fi connectivity, so there is no app support or connection to your smart home system.
What can you expect with the Ecovacs Deebot N78?
- Tangle-free suction systems
- Automatic charging
- Smart infrared sensors
- High-efficiency filtration system
- Up to 110 minutes of cleaning on one charge
- 3 cleaning modes – auto clean, spot clean, and edge clean
- Cleans well and handles pet hair
- Edge brushes are effective at cleaning corners
- Customer service at Ecovacs is efficient and professional
- Good value for the features
- Works well in smaller homes and apartments
- No clock on the vacuum to enable true scheduling
- Tends to roll up the edge of throw rugs
If you live in a smaller home or apartment and you need a good budget minded robotic vacuum, the Deebot N78 might be a choice. The lack of Wi-Fi connectivity is a big factor for some people in our ever more connected world, but if you are just looking for a vacuum that will work for you without many bells and whistles, you should consider the Ecovacs Deebot N78.
Ecovacs Deebot N79S
Ecovacs stepped up its game with the introduction of the N79 to the N-Series line of robotic vacuums. There is no more mop function in the newer N-Series vacuums, but Wi-Fi connectivity is now on the list. The N79S also features voice assist capability to make it easier to find and troubleshoot your vacuum.
The N79S also brought more power to the vacuuming chores around your home for improved cleaning. Unfortunately, the increased power and suction also means a slight increase in the volume of noise generated by the vacuum as it works.
When you purchase an Ecovacs Deebot N79S, you can expect features such as:
- Smart Motion Technology for advance cleaning navigation
- Selective Cleaning Modes – Auto mode, edge mode, and spot mode
- V-Shaped brush for more efficient lifting of dirt and debris
- Smart home compatible with Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Amazon Echo compatible
- Auto recharging
- Scheduling capability
- Full array of infrared sensors
- High-Efficiency filter system
- Up to 110 minutes of run time
- Slim design easily gets under furniture and toe kicks in the kitchen
- Great power and does a fantastic job on hard surface floors
- Can be voice-controlled through your Amazon Echo
- The auto-recharge feature is handy
- Quiet, efficient operation
- Plastic wheels are noisy on tile floors
- Can get overwhelmed with pet hair if you have long-haired dogs
If you are on a budget but still want the convenience of Wi-Fi connectivity and being able to control your robotic vacuum through your smart home applications, the Ecovacs Deebot N79S could be your vacuum.
Ecovacs Deebot N79W and N79W+
The last of the N-Series robotic vacuums from Ecovacs is the Deebot N79W and the N79W+. There is no real difference in the N79s and the N79W vacuums except the esthetic of having a white finish on the robot and, in the case of the N79W+, an extra year of warranty.
The features are the same on the N79W and N79W+ as on the N79S. The upgraded warranty is a bonus but you will pay a small premium for the additional twelve months of factory warranty coverage.
Best Selling Robotic Vacuum in US Markets: Ecovacs Deebot 500 Series, 500, 501, 502
The Ecovacs Deebot 500 series of vacuums is one of the most popular series of robotic vacuums. Sales of this model outside the US are consistently among the best of all robotic vacuums. The 500 series is the result of advances research and development and feedback from consumers on earlier Ecovacs models.
Many engineering and technological adjustments were made to this line of robotic vacuums from Ecovacs to make it one of the most efficient and capable vacuums available. Ecovacs accomplished these upgrades while keeping the price in a range that is well within most users’ budgets.
The 500 series of Deebot vacuums include three models, which are all essentially the same except for the color of the vacuum.
- Ecovacs Deebot 500 is black
- Ecovacs Deebot 501 is white
- Ecovacs Deebot 502 is grey
Feature-wise, the three vacuums in the Ecovacs Deebot 500 series are identical and include:
- Max Mode to perform intense deep cleaning when needed
- Three types of cleaning modes include edge mode, auto mode, and spot clean mode.
- Three-stage cleaning system for maximum dirt and debris removal
- W—Fi connectivity allows you to control you Deebot with your smartphone or through your smart home device
- Automatic return to dock
- Multi-sensor arrays for safe and efficient operation
- High-Efficiency filtration system for cleaner home air
- Simple setup and easy to use
- Multimode cleaning keeps floors spotless
- The scheduling feature allows me to fit the cleaning into my schedule
- Very quiet on the default cleaning mode
- Strong, consistent cleaning power
- Random cleaning patterns seem aimless and uncoordinated but does seem to get the job done.
- The dust bin must be dumped regularly because the vacuum picks up so much dirt.
In the middle range of Ecovacs Deebot models, the 50 Series offers great cleaning capabilities, smart home integration, and a choice of colors to blend in with your décor. The Ecovacs Deebot 500 series offers an upgrade in technology and cleaning systems over earlier models without a significant increase in price.
Feature Rich Top of the Line: Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 900 Series Robotic Vacuums, 901, 920, 930, 950
The next series in the Ecovacs Deebot robotic vacuums is the 900 series. This line of vacuums is at the top of the heap as far as features and technology. The Deebot 900 series easily compares to any other brand of robotic vacuum for performance and technology.
The Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 900 series is often compared with the Roomba 960 and 980 models from iRobot. The comparisons are generally favorable, and the price of the Ecovacs 900 Series vacuums is often the difference giving the Ecovacs an edge.
There are some differences in the models that make up the Ecovacs 900 series, which can make a difference in what model may be the best for your application. Among these is the OZMO designation. The Ecovacs carrying the OZMO designation are combination models that feature both vacuum and mopping capabilities.
Ecovacs Deebot 901
If you want the best in mapping technology I a robotic vacuum, the Ecovacs Deebot 901 is a perfect choice. This vacuum is the budget answer for anyone who wants a laser-guided, Wi-Fi capable robotic vacuum.
The advanced LIDAR technology used in the Deebot 901 allows the robotic vacuum to create a virtual map of your home and to plan the most efficient route while cleaning. This prevents the robotic vacuum from traveling over the same spots and routes, which makes the process more battery efficient, meaning more cleaning area covered per battery charge.
Adding all this new technology didn’t cause Ecovacs to abandon the rest of its features.
- Smart Navi 3.0 Laser-guided navigation system
- Recharge and return capability to keep your Ecovacs working
- Runs up to 100 minutes on a single charge
- Wi-Fi connectivity to allow you to control the vacuum with your smart home system
- Ecovacs app works with android and iOS operating systems
- An array of onboard sensors to detect objects or obstacles in your home
- Virtual boundaries and zoned cleaning using the smartphone app
- The least expensive robotic vacuum with mapping
- Smart navigation makes the vacuum seem to be more efficient at its job
- You can drive the vacuum with your smartphone to hit trouble spots for extra cleaning
- No more building barriers with the virtual boundaries in the app
- Quiet operation
- Slim low-profile design gets under furniture easily
- Small dust bin requires frequent emptying
- Wires and other obstacles may be a problem
If you want a full-featured robotic vacuum with laser guidance and advanced navigation systems, the Ecovacs Deebot 901 is certainly a consideration. The features are comparable with the robotic vacuums from any other manufacturer.
Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 920
The OZMO designation on the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 920 tells you that this Ecovacs robotic vacuum also has built-in mopping capability making this a combination model. If you have a combination of hard surface floors and carpet and want a robotic cleaning system to handle both, the Ecovacs OZMO 920 can fill that bill.
The addition of the mop features on the Ecovacs OZMO 920 brings some other interesting features to the regular Ecovacs lineup.
- OZMO Mopping Technology
- Carpet detection technology for enhanced cleaning capabilities
- Smart Navi 3.0 Technology
- Multi-Floor Mapping
- Unlimited boundary, area mode, custom mode, and scheduled cleaning
- Pressure retention system
- Laser-guided navigation and mapping system
- Large capacity water reservoir for whole-house cleaning
- Low profile for cleaning under furniture
- Floating brush design
- Wi-Fi connectable and smartphone app control
- Connects with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Recharge and resume keep the vacuum cleaning until the job is complete
- A high-efficiency air filtration system
- Great for multi-level homes
- Does well with pet hair
- The recharge and resume ability is great. No more trying to figure out where the vacuum stopped.
- The air filtration system keeps the air in the house fresh with fewer allergens floating about.
- Handles small objects and obstacles easily
- Doesn’t work too well with deep pile carpet
- May lose its way back to the docking station
If you are technically savvy and like the convenience of programming and operating your robotic vacuum from your smartphone or through your smart home app, the Ecovacs OZMO 900 is a definite possibility. You won’t find many robotic vacuums with the features and convenience of the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 920 at a competitive price.
Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 930
If you have a larger home that is mostly carpeted, but you still want the convenience of a combo robotic vacuum and mop, the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 830 is a great choice. Ecovacs carpet detection technology means that you don’t need to create boundaries or zones when you want the OZMO 930 to clean the floors. The auto carpet detection takes care of that for you.
The same autodetection system for carpets also boosts the suction to its maximum level to ensure that your carpets stay clean. The Ecovacs specially designed suction inlet and brush also make cleaning pet hair a breeze.
The features list on the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 930 is complete providing a complete floor cleaning system in one package.
- Smart Navi 3.0 intelligent mapping system cans, maps, and plans your floors for the most efficient cleaning.
- Visual mapping allows you to create custom cleaning routines
- Create virtual boundaries
- Prioritize areas for extra cleaning
- Carpet detection for the most efficient operation whether mopping or vacuuming
- Large water reservoir for fewer refills
- Wi-Fi compatible
- Remote control of your Deebot through the smartphone app
- Advanced scheduling abilities
- Recharge and resume technology
- Both vacuuming and mopping work well and leave the floors clean
- Quiet and fast operation
- Water control from the app allows custom cleaning of problem areas
- The long run time is great in my larger home.
- This vacuum is easy to use and easy to setup
- Moving the vacuum during operation resets any maps that it has generated
- The app takes a few minutes to understand but works well once you have the hang of it.
For a combination of mop and vacuum, the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 930 features a great combination of efficiency and economy. There are more expensive combination vacuums and mops, but few offer the features available with the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 930 at a comparable price.
Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 950
Battery technology has come a long way since the first robotic vacuums made their appearance many years ago. Ecovacs has taken every advantage of these advances in technology and incorporated them into the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 950.
The OZMO 950 features one of the longest run times of any robotic vacuum on the market. On low power, Deebot OZMO 950 can run an amazing 200 minutes and an incredible 150 minutes in high power mode. That is enough time to clean larger homes with ease.
Couple that superior battery runtime with the other features that Ecovacs includes, and you get incredible value.
- Up to 200 minutes of run time
- High-efficiency cleaning with up to 1500 Pa for suction
- Floating brush optimized for deep crack cleaning
- Three power modes – Normal, Max, and Max Plus
- Smart Navi 3.0 laser mapping and navigation system
- Multi-floor mapping
- More efficient virtual boundary settings
- Custom clean mode to identify areas for special cleaning attention
- OXMO Mopping technology
- Extra-large water reservoir for more efficient cleaning
- Carpet detection system to keep the vacuum working no matter what surface it is on
- Low profile and slim design
- Wi-Fi connectivity allows the vacuum to be controlled from your smartphone or your smart home system
- Recharge and return technology
- High-efficiency air filtration for cleaner air in your home
- Works great with dog hair
- Intelligent design handles changes in floor covering, obstacles and stairs without a problem
- Low profile lets the vacuum clean under furniture, especially under beds and eliminates dust bunnies
- The roller brush does a great job on my carpet and on the hard surfaces in my home.
- Only saves two floor maps
- A bit on the expensive side
The unparalleled runtime of the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 950 makes this vacuum an attractive option if you have a larger house, a multi-level home, or live with furry friends whose hair can require more intensive cleaning. The Ecovacs OZMO 950 is in the upper tier of robotic vacuums in price, but that extra cost is more than offset by the quality of the product you receive.
Ecovacs Best for Hard Surface Floors: Deebot 600 Series, 600, 601, 605, and 661
If you live in a smaller home or have a home with more hard surfaces than carpet, the Ecovacs Deebot 600 series of combination mops and vacuums might be of interest. There is not a lot of difference in the models in this line. Comparing those difference, we find:
- The 600 and 601 models are different colors. The 600 is white, and the 601 is black.
- The 600 and 601 models can be outfitted with the mopping module, but it is not included in the package.
- The Model 605 is identical to the 600 and 601 but includes the water tank in the package.
- The 661 is the same as the model 605 except for the color. The 661 I black and the 605 is white.
It should be noted that the mopping system used in the 600 series of Ecovacs is not the OZMO system included with other models. The mopping system used on the Ecovacs 600 series is not a pressurized system like the OZMO system. The water does not spray. It merely drips onto the mopping pad as the machine moves over the floor.
The 600 series is as feature rich as the other members of the Ecovacs lineup.
- 3 stage cleaning system means spotless floors
- Systematic cleaning path for more efficient operation
- Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to program and control your Deebot from your smartphone or smart home system.
- Smart charging dock allows the Deebot to return to its charger on its own when its battery power gets low
- High-efficiency air filtration
- Convertible technology allows the 600 series vacuums to either vacuum or mop as desired
- Handles dog hair efficiently
- Handles changes in floor surfaces and heights easily
- Great features and performance for the price
- Mops well without leaving any wet spots or puddles
- Easy to change mop pads
- Not suitable for large homes with big open spaces
- No carpet detection
For smaller homes with a combination of hard surface and carpet, the Ecovacs Deebot 600 series vacuum is ideal. If you don’t have hard surfaces to clean, purchasing one of the Deebot models without the mopping option is a perfect solution since if your needs change, you can purchase the mopping system later.
What is the best choice for you?
Choosing which Ecovacs Deebot Robotic Vacuum is best for you can still be challenging. Here are our thoughts in summary on the Ecovacs Deebot lineup.
- Chose the bestselling model – Perhaps the best indicator of which product is the best in the marketplace. Choosing the robotic vacuum that most other people choose is not a bad way to go. In this case, the Ecovacs Deebot N79S is the best-selling product in the line.
- If you are on a tight budget but want a robotic vacuum – In our estimation, the best pick for a budget buy on a robotic vacuum is the Ecovacs Deebot 500. You get a big dustbin, good runtime, and it handles multiple surfaces well.
- I live in a smaller home, which Deebot vacuum is good for me? – You should take a look at the Ecovacs Deebot 601. This vacuum has good suction, is Wi-Fi connectible, and works with Amazon Alexa and Google home.
- I need a robotic vacuum that will map my home, but I’m on a budget. – If you live in a larger home or need more sophisticated navigation and mapping, the Ecovacs Deebot that should be on your list is the Ecovacs Deebot 901.
- I have a larger home with lots of carpets. – For larger homes and more plush carpets, the choice, in our opinion, is the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 950. The superior cleaning and the longest runtime in the industry make the Ecovacs Deebot OZMO 950 a hands-down favorite.
As you begin your search for that perfect robotic vacuum, you often find the decisions overwhelming. Even focusing on one brand or even one series of vacuums offered by one manufacturer can be bewildering in its complexity. We hope that this article helps you gain a better grasp of the choices and how they might fill your needs and leads you to a happy decision on which Ecovacs Deebot robotic vacuum to purchase.