ILife is the upstart in the robotic vacuum world. The first ILife robotic vacuum didn’t come to the marketplace until 2010. ILife got a late start for any company that wanted to be a player at the top of the robotic vacuum leader board. Ten years later and ILife has become a surprise challenger in the race.
The reasons for this are easy to understand. ILife has brought the features and quality that many people thought only robotic vacuums costing three or four times the money could provide. People will go where they feel they get the best value. Right now. That’s ILife.
ILife gets recommendations from the New York Times, USA Today, Consumer Reports, and many others. The ILife robotic vacuums rank as Best Sellers on Amazon. It is no wonder that many people are looking very closely at the ILife line of robotic vacuums instead of the more expensive competitors.
Check out our other brands:
Finding the Best ILife Robotic Vacuum for You
ILife currently offers five models of robotic vacuum and a robotic mop. There are still legacy models of ILife vacuums available, but we are going to focus on the robotic vacuums in the current lineup from ILife. Let’s look at the comparison of features first.
These are by no means all the features of the ILife line of robotic vacuums. To list them all and compare them across the product line would take pages. We have chosen what we believe to be the most important features in a robotic vacuum to most homeowners and compared those features across the ILife current line of robotic vacuums.
|Feature||ILife A9||ILife V8s||ILife A4s||ILife V5s Pro||ILife v3s Pro|
|Run Time (Minutes)||120||100||140||150||120|
|Navigation Technology||Smart Mapping||Smart Mapping||Smart Mapping||Smart Mapping||Smart Mapping|
|Noise Level||N/A||68 db||65 db||50 db||55 dB|
|Air Filtration||High Performance||HEPA||HEPA||HEPA||HEPA|
|Auto Dock and Recharge||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
ILife A9 Robotic Vacuum – Best Overall ILife Robotic Vacuum
ILife radically redesigned its robotic vacuums with the introduction of the A9. The engineers reimagined the whole dust control and debris management system in their robotic vacuum and came up with the Gen 4 Cyclone dust system. The cyclone system and chambered dust bin separate larger debris from dust, and removing smaller particles are before the air enters a HEPA filter and goes back to the room.
The A9 also got a sophisticated navigation system that uses cameras and an internal gyroscope to move more efficiently about your home. Better navigation translates to more cleaning for the same amount of run time. Plus, if the A9 connects to ILIfe’s smartphone app, the system will build a virtual map of your home for better navigation and cleaning.
Features are not an issue with the ILife A9 robotic vacuum. The A9 is the most feature-rich vacuum in the ILife product line. Consumers mention several key features that they believe make the ILife A9 a superior robotic vacuum
- Long battery life – The long battery life of the A9 allows the vacuum to clean more on a single charge. Longer run time allows the A9 to work more efficiently in large homes or where heavier accumulations of dirt and debris in the home.
- Quiet operation – Many consumers comment on the overall quiet operation of the ILife A9. Many find it quiet enough to continue to watch TV while the vacuum is running in the same room.
- Best value on the market – The Overall consensus by users of the ILife A9 robotic vacuum is that this is the best value in a robotic vacuum on the market today.
- App control is easy to use – The ILife smartphone app is one of the easiest to understand and use according to many consumers. They rate the app high and one of the best features of the ILife A9 robotic vacuum.
We rate the ILife A9 as our choice as the Best Overall ILife Robotic Vacuum. The ILife A9 allows you to own a robotic vacuum that has all the features of vacuums costing two or three times as much. If you are looking for a great value in a Wi-Fi enabled robotic vacuum, the ILife A9 should fit your needs.
- Cleans well on both hard surface and low pile carpet
- Visually attractive design
- Excellent dust and debris pickup
- One of the best filtration systems available
- The smartphone app is a bit buggy
- Can’t connect to Alexa or Google
ILife V8s Robotic Vacuum – Best ILife Robotic Vacuum for Hard Surface Floors
If you want a robotic vacuum and being connected to your cleaning assistant through your smartphone is not high on your priorities, you should have the ILife V8s on your list. Among comparable robotic vacuums, the V8s from ILife stacks up very well. For the price, the ILife V8s is comparable to the RoboRock S50 and the Eufy Robovac 11S.
The ILife V8s uses i-Move intelligent navigation to move through your home in a systematic way to prevent overlapping or missed corners. The M-shaped cleaning pattern is managed by the ILife V8s’s internal gyroscopic navigation system and an array of sensors mounted on the vacuum
The dustbin on the ILife V8s is one of the largest of any robotic vacuums measuring a whopping 750ml. A larger dust bin means fewer stops to empty. In addition to the large dustbin, the ILife v8s employs HEPA filtration to ensure that the air returned to your room is clean and pure.
We surveyed user comments and found the features that were most appreciated.
- Works great on hard surface floors – The ILife v8s keeps hard surface floors sparkling. It picks up large and small dirt, pet hair, and even scraps of paper.
- Scheduling functions are convenient – Consumers consistently state that the scheduling functions on the ILife v8s are easy to use. Many users schedule the vacuum to run while they are out of the house.
- Quick and Easy Setup – out of the box and on the floor is the bottom line of the setup for the ILife V8s. Users love the ease of getting the ILife V8s in operation in their home. Many report that the quick start guide included with the vacuum is one of the best they have ever read and used.
- Run quietly over the floor – Many consumers comment that the ILife V8s is so quiet that they seldom are aware it is running. Some users are amazed that the ILife V8s are quiet enough that their pets seem unaffected by it running through the house.
The combination of vacuuming power and mopping capability makes the ILife V8s our choice as the best ILife robotic vacuum for hardwood floors. The smart mop system is one of the best on the market for robotic damp mopping.
- Very affordable
- The low profile can clean under furniture easily
- Scheduling is easy and effective
- Brings both vacuuming and mopping capabilities in one device
- No Wi-Fi connectivity
- No virtual barriers
ILife A4s Robotic Vacuum – Best ILife Budget Robotic Vacuum
On a tight budget? Look no further than the ILife A4s robotic vacuum. Top-notch cleaning performance, long battery life, and sleek, compact design make the ILife A4s a perfect choice for anyone who wants a quality robotic vacuum at a price that won’t pinch your budget.
The ILife A4s extremely low profile allows the A4s to navigate under furniture that most other robotic vacuums would find a barrier. The powerful dual-level suction and a generous sized dust bin lets the A4s clean longer and clean better.
A full array of sensors keeps the A4s on track and cleaning without worried about the robot getting trapped or stuck. Add to that scheduling capabilities and you have a budget robot vacuum with a set of features that make it perfect for many people.
Consumers and users of the ILife A4s rave about its features and its cleaning ability.
- Much quieter than other robot vacs. Hardly knew it was running in the room, especially on carpet.
- The most reliable robot vacuum I have owned. It just keeps on running.
- The scheduling lets the vacuum start when I am at work, and I have a clean house to come home to in the evenings.
- Very powerful cleaning action. The robot picked up debris I didn’t think it could manage.
At a budget price, the ILife aA4s Robotic Vacuum delivers consistent, powerful cleaning for your floors, no matter the surface. If you are not interested in playing with your robotic vacuum with your smartphone, the A4s is an easy choice. It makes our list as the Best ILife Budget Robotic Vacuum.
- Small and lightweight
- Good runtime
- Multiple cleaning modes
- Great price.
- Can lose its way back to the docking station
ILife V5s Pro Robotic Vacuum – Best ILife Budget Combo Robotic Vacuum
The ILife V5s Pro began its life targeted directly at hard surface flooring. Until the ILife V8s came along, the V5s ruled the roost in the ILife line for hard surface floor cleaning and maintenance. Just because a newer robotic vacuum is available doesn’t mean that the V5s shouldn’t be in the lineup.
There is nothing second rate about this vacuum. The brushless motor is quiet and drives the ILife V5s through its paces without disturbing the peace of your home. The lithium-Ion battery provides exceptional runtime that allows the V5s to be more efficient as it cleans your floors.
The I-drop water dispensing technology stops the water flow to the mopping pad when the vacuum stops. This prevents over wetting the mopping pad and damage to some floors. The generously sized water tank gives added run time between tank refills.
Among the user and consumer comments we viewed, the reviews were highly positive.
- This vacuum does a great job on pet hair on our hardwood floors.
- They say this vac is good on hard surfaces, but it does a great job on low pile carpet as well.
- The damp mop feature is great on our tile. No streaks or puddles.
- The low profile gets under beds and other furniture where an upright vacuum just can’t reach.
If your home or apartment has hard surface flooring and some low pile carpet, the ILife V5s should take care of most of your floor maintenance needs. The combination of mopping and vacuuming ability makes the V5s our choice as the Best ILife Budget Combo Robotic Vacuum. For more information about combination robotic vacuums/mops, check out our article here.
- Long runtime
- Brushless motor for a long, trouble-free life
- IR Remote makes operating the vacuum easy and convenient
- Three cleaning modes allows you to spot clean and edge clean
- No motorized brush
- Relatively small dust bin
ILife V3s Pro Robotic Vacuum – Best ILife Robotic Vacuum for Pet Hair
You may not believe it, but our choice of all the ILife robotic vacuums as the best choice for dealing with pet hair is also the least expensive of all the models that ILife has in the current product line. The ILife V3s is the clear winner when it comes to removing pet hair from your floor surfaces.
The key is the powerful suction that doesn’t depend on rotating brushes to move the debris to the dust bin. ILife calls this their AirAway technology and it incorporates double high-performance filters. A powerful motor generates more suction for more cleaning.
And speaking of filtration, the HEPA filters in the AirAway system mean fewer allergens in your home. This can be especially important if you are sensitive to dust mites, pollen, or even pet dander. Cleaner floors and cleaner air. What more could anyone want?
Ratings and reviews from consumers are outstanding.
- This robot is fantastic and keeps our floors free of hair from our two dogs.
- The runtime for this robot is fantastic.
- Transitions from carpet to tile easily and never seem to have a problem.
- The scheduling feature is a dream.
If you have pets and are constantly cleaning up hair and other debris, the ILife V3s might be the solution to your cleaning woes. The price is right for almost any budget.
- Best pet hair cleaning performance for the price
- Excellent performance and runtime
- The unbeatable price point for the features
ILife W400 Shinebot
ILife has one more product that deserves mention even though this is a robotic vacuum review. The ILife W400 Shinebot is a dedicated robotic mop. Unlike the combo mop and vacuum units, this is a true mopping machine.
Combo machines, by and large, simply drag a damp pad over the floor. There is no agitation or scrubbing action taking place to remove stains or hardened material. In addition, if a combo unit happens upon a spill, the excess liquid just gets smeared further around the floor.
The W400 Shinebot doesn’t suffer from any of those shortcomings while cleaning your hard surface floors. There are several reasons that make this a standout product.
- Dual Water Tank System – The W400 has dual water tanks. One tank holds the clean water used for mopping. The second tank stores the dirty water that is removed from the floor. No wet spots, no standing water, and, if the robotic mop encounters a small spill, it can suck it up and keep ongoing.
- Rolling Scrub Brush – A fiber roller scrubs your floor as the robotic mop moves. Many robotic mops simply vibrate the cleaning pad. The W400 works to clean hard to remove dirt and debris from your hard surface floors.
- Four Cleaning Modes – Under normal circumstances, the W400 works in a systematic and methodical way around your floors. You designate a specific area for the W400 to clean, identify a specific spot for extra cleaning, or instruct the robotic mop to give the edges of your floor’s extra attention.
- Extra Sensor for Extra Protection – An array of 9 sets of OBS detectors easily locate objects and obstacles. Three sets of detectors beneath the robot keep your W400 safe from inadvertent falls down steps or stairs.
- Multifunction Control Panel – The top-mounted control panel is easy to see and access, giving you full control of your robot. A range of indicator lights lets you know the level of water in the tank immediately, the charge left in the battery, and what cleaning mode you have set.
If your home is primarily hard surface floor coverings, a robotic mop certainly makes sense. The ILife W400 makes the most sense. The true scrubbing brush action and dual water tank system will leave your floors sparkling clean.
- Dual tank technology gives great cleaning performance
- Reusable microfiber scrubbing roller
- Reasonable prices especially for the features
- Long runtime
- Tall. Cannot clean under the toe kick of most cabinets
- No Wi-Fi connectivity
Which ILife Robotic Vacuum is Best For You
Your needs dictate which ILife vacuum is best for you. Thinking about what you expect and what you want from a robotic vacuum is the best guidance you can find to decide what ILIfe robotic vacuum best fits your situation.
- I just want a robot vacuum to touch up my carpets between deep cleaning. – If maintenance cleaning on your carpets is the main reason you want a robotic vacuum, the ILife A4s is a great choice. It’s excellent cleaning capability without a large investment plus scheduling will give you the freedom to schedule your maintenance cleaning routines.
- My house is half tile and half carpet, which vacuum is best for me? – For larger homes with both hard surface floors and carpet, the ILife A9 is a perfect choice. The A9 can keep your carpets clean, your hard surface floors mopped and the air in your home fresh and clean.
- My dogs shed like crazy, and I don’t know if a robotic vacuum can keep up. – Have no fear, ILife has a robotic vacuum to address your concerns. The ILife V3s is perfect for anyone with four-legged friends who want a robotic vacuum that can deal with pet hair and pet dander.
- I have all hard surface floors in my home. Which is a better choice, a combo vacuum/mop, or a dedicated robotic mop? – Either one will do a marvelous job on your floors. If you have pets or heavy accumulations of dust, a combination of robotic vacuum like the ILife V8s might be a better choice. Homes without pets and all hard surface floors may be better served by a dedicated robotic mop like the ILife W400.
Troubleshooting ILife Vacuums
Like any mechanical tool, robotic vacuums are subject to wear, tear, and needing repair. ILife robotic vacuums are no different. There are several known issues with some models of the ILife robotic vacuum. If your vacuum behaves strangely, one of these fixes might help you get your vacuum back on the job.
Some ILife robotic vacuums begin to suffer from erratic movement syndrome. The vacuums will move a few feet, stop, turn to a random direction, stop, turn again, and repeat. This is usually due to a sensor in the navigation system.
- If you look at the bottom of the vacuum, you will see the front castor wheel. It should be marked with a sort of checkerboard pattern. This is part of the navigation system. The alternating black and white marks are read by a sensor above the wheel.
- Pop this wheel from the vacuum housing carefully. More than likely, find a wad of lint and pet hair under the wheel. This prevents the sensor from seeing the markings on the wheel and it confuses the navigation system.
- Clean out the wheel housing and the wheel.
- Reinstall the wheel gently.
- Send the robotic vacuum on its merry way.
Starts and Stops
At times your ILife robotic vacuum may begin to start and top erratically, almost in a hesitant fashion. This is usually caused by dirty sensors on the perimeter of the robotic vacuum. The navigation system depends on feedback from these sensors to detect objects and obstacles and to prevent the vacuum from tumbling over the edge of a stair.
Cleaning the sensor requires removing the housing on the vacuum. There are many good references on the net about cleaning the ILife robotic vacuum sensors.
The Vacuum Won’t Turn on When I Press the Start Button
This may sound a little absurd, but have you checked to make sure that the on-off switch on the side of the ILife vacuum is in the on position. In reviewing problems and solutions with robotic vacuums, this seems to be a recurring oversight. Often, the switch gets bumped into the off position inadvertently, and most people don’t think to check for this simple fix.
The Cause of Many Problems
The cause of many problems with the operation of ILife robotic vacuums, and all robotic vacuums, for that matter, is ongoing and regular maintenance. These are machines that are designed to operate in dusty and dirty environments. The various parts of the machines need regular and specific maintenance to continue to operate as intended.
All the robotic vacuums have maintenance schedules and instructions included in the owner’s manuals. To extend the life of your robotic vacuum, you should follow these guidelines. ILife has created an entire catalog of video on the proper methods of cleaning and maintaining your ILife robotic vacuum. Those videos are available free at this.
Replacing Parts and Consumables
When parts do wear out, ILife offers a wide array of replacement parts and accessories for your ILife robotic vacuum or mop. The range of parts and consumables includes
- Replacement side brushes
- New HEPA Filters
- Parts such as replacement lid locks and wheels
- New roller brushes
- Additional electronic barriers
- Mopping pads
- Many other parts
You needn’t worry about getting parts to properly maintain your vacuum or mop when you own an ILife product. These parts and maintenance items are readily available on Amazon here.
Cleaning your Home without Cleaning out your Wallet
You should realize that you don’t have to break the bank to find a full-featured robotic vacuum. ILife has a vacuum in their line that can satisfy almost anyone’s list of features and performance. Deciding which ILife vacuum best fits your needs is a decision you must make. We hope that the information provided in this article makes the decision a little easier and clearer.