If you live with furry friends, the hair they shed is often a real problem. It seems to get everywhere and tends to clog rollers, brushes, and filters on even the best vacuums on the market. Shark recognizes this problem. The Shark line of vacuums has several models in each category designed specifically to address the problem of pet hair in your home.
Why Shark Vacuums are best for pets?
Almost every vacuum manufacturer has a line of vacuums that are specific to dealing with pet hair. Companies like Dyson, Bissell, and Eureka all have pet hair specific models. Shark is no different. What sets the Shark line apart from the others is two things. Shark offers unprecedented power in their vacuums, and across the board, Shark vacuums perform well at picking up pet hair.
The second feature is the Shark vacuum Zero-M Hair Wrap Technology. This feature incorporates a toothed comb that continuously cleans the brushes and rollers on the vacuum head as it runs. The Zero-M technology is not available on all models, but even those without the Zero-M technology are exceptional at pet hair removal.
On other noteworthy Shark accessory is the powered motorized brush attachment that is standard with many Shark models equipped with the Lift-Away technology. This handheld motorized brush and roller tool is a superior handheld device for cleaning pet hair and other debris from stairs, furniture, upholstery, and drapes.
Our Picks from Shark
Here are the Shark vacuums that offer the features and the best pet hair handling characteristics. All of the Shark models in our list feature the Lift-Away technology to allow the vacuum to be used as efficiently as possible around the home. All of these models of Shark vacuums are bagless for easy emptying and maintenance. (Learn more about Best Bagged Vacuum)
- Shark Apex DuoClean with Zero-M Anti-Hair Wrap Technology, Model AZ1002
- Shark Rotator TruePet Powered Lift-Away, Model NV752
- Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away, Model NV501
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum, Model NV356E
- Shark Ninja DuoClean Powered Lift-Away, Model NV801
- Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum, Model ZU561
Which Shark vacuum comes out on top. You may be surprised!
Best Shark Vacuum For Pets Comparison Table
|Name||Item Weight||Shipping Weight||Dimensions||Type|
|Shark Navigator NV356E||13.7 lbs.||19.5 lbs.||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 in.||Upright|
|Shark Rotator Lift-Away TruePet NV752||15.4 lbs.||21.9 lbs.||13.2 x 11.9 x 45 in.||Upright|
|Shark Apex DuoClean AZ1002||24.9 lbs.||24.9 lbs.||11.2 x 12.2 x 46 in.||Upright|
|Shark Rotator Professional NV501||15.5 lbs.||20.8 lbs.||45.7 x 12.1 x 12.2 in.||Upright|
|Shark Ninja DuoClean NV801||15 lbs.||20.8 lbs.||11.8 x 11.9 x 46.1 in.||Upright|
|Shark Navigator ZU561 for Pets||18.4 lbs.||18.4 lbs.||12 x 9.5 x 45.6 in.||Upright|
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional, Model NV356E
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional has the combination of features and price that rank it #1 on this list of Best Shark Vacuums for Pet Hair. Priced in the mid-range of Shark vacuums, the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional is a super value for the features and power that it offers.
Pet hair doesn’t just lay on the floor and wait for you to vacuum it away. It floats and eventually ends up almost everywhere. Having a vacuum that can deal with this diverse range of cleaning challenges is a huge plus. The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional shines in this area. Check out this list of features.
- A powerful upright vacuum with a large dust cup and easy swivel steering.
- A lightweight lift-away detachable canister allows portable cleaning power.
- Above floor cleaning with a long flexible hose.
- Sealed HEPA filtration system.
- Bagless design for ease of use and maintenance
- Weighs only 13.7 lbs. in the upright configuration.
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional is one of Shark’s best-selling models and gets top of the line reviews across the spectrum of consumer sites. Very few negatives comments were found among consumer reports. A few of the most common include:
- Noise – Some users report that at times the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional produces a high-pitched sound that can be annoying.
- Top Heavy Design – One complaint from consumers is the design of the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional causes the machine to be top-heavy and topple over when using the wand and hose.
On the other hand, the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional came in on top of several categories. Near perfect ratings in the pet hair category earns the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional a superior rating. Consumers consistently rate the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional tops in these categories:
- Cleaning ability on both carpet and hard surfaces;
- Ease of use;
- Pet hair removal;
When considering the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professionals features, reviews, and price, it is easy to see why it made the Top Spot in this list. This Shark model consistently ranks equal to or above more expensive models of Shark vacuums in both cleaning and pet hair removal.
Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum, Model NV752
Coming in at #2 on this list is the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum. The TruePet series of Shark vacuums are designed specifically for pet hair removal and a mini-motorized brush attachment for cleaning upholstery and hard to reach areas such as stair treads.
The wonderful thing about the TruePet technology is the undeniable fact that if the vacuum can handle tough to clean tasks such as pet hair, it will excel at the routine vacuuming chores around the house. The Shark Navigator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright is no exception.
The amazing list of features on this vacuum is not to be ignored.
- The full-sized lift-away feature allows the NV752 to be used in three different ways, as a full-sized upright, as a canister vacuum, and as a portable hand-held.
- The powered motorized brush attachment excels at picking up pet hair from upholstery, curtains, and even delicate fabrics.
- A specialized crevice/dusting brush called the “Dusting Genie” allows cleaning in hard to reach spots.
- Super bright LED lights on the front of the cleaning head make it easy to spot dust and debris under furniture and in poorly lit areas.
- A long cord allows easy reach around the home, making it unnecessary to stop and change outlets.
- The canister design makes maintenance on the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Upright easy and fast.
Most of the reported problems with the Shark Navigator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright vacuum reflect complaints found with many detachable canister upright vacuums. Among the most common complaints are:
- The vacuum tends to topple over when trying to use the wand and hose with the canister attached to the vacuum.
- The handle on the NV752 seems long to many people. Some consumers found this vacuum hard to handle because of the longer handle.
- The NV752 has a rather small dust cup. The cup measures only 1.5 quarts and needs to be emptied and cleaned often.
Most consumers found the NV752 a great vacuum with exceptional cleaning capabilities. Some of the most mentioned features of the NV752 include:
- The motorized brush roller attachment for cleaning upholstery, fabric and hard to reach areas;
- Multi-mode operation;
- Powerful suction and ability to easily handle pet hair, and;
- The range of attachments that come with the machine.
Overall, the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright vacuum offers many of the same features and advantages of the number one pick on this list, the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional. The major difference is the weight and the price. The NV752 comes in at 15.4 lbs., while the NV356E is a lightweight 13.7 lbs.
The tipping point in the price versus features comparison comes in with the NV752 edged by the NV356E. Comparing across the board, the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright vacuum is slightly more expensive than the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional.
Shark Apex DuoClean with Zero-M Anti-Hair Wrap Technology, Model AZ1002
Next on our list is the Shark Apex DuoClean with Zero-M Anti-Hair Wrap Technology. The stand-out feature of this vacuum is the Zero-M Anti-Hair Wrap Technology. The Shark Apex DuoClean is the first Shark vacuum in the list that features the Zero-M Technology.
Shark’s Zero-M Technology features a simple and effective method of handling pet hair, or hair of all kinds for that matter, by building a roller and comb system that cleans hair from the brushes and roller as it cleans. No more having to stop, disassemble, can clean the roller and brush on your vacuum.
The Shark Apex DuoClean Model AZ1002 includes all the basic features of the Shark vacuum line including:
- Shark’s Lift-Away technology for 3 in 1 clean capability;
- Powered brush roller for handheld use;
- Active glide technology makes moving the vacuum while it is running a breeze;
- An additional Pet Tool to make cleaning pet hair even easier on surfaces where the vacuum is unwieldy;
- Bagless 1.5-quart dust cup for easy cleaning;
- Zero-M self-cleaning brush roller controls pet hair without constant maintenance;
- HEPA air filtration and Advances Anti-Allergen Compete Seal Technology, and;
- DuoClean technology featuring a soft roller and a standard brush roller allowing the Shark Apex AZ1002 to pick up almost anything from carpet and hard surfaces.
There are a few issues noted by users of the Shark Apex DuoClean, Model AZ1002. Some consumers note that the AZ1002 is heavy weighing in at a hefty 16 lbs. Other issues that were mentioned frequently among comments about the Shark Apex DuoClean are:
- All the accessories do not fit onboard the vacuum for storage.
- The hose feels short and frequently pulls the upright over when the canister is not detached.
- Many mentioned high noise levels.
- The overall bulky appearance and feel of the vacuum is a concern with some consumers.
- The high price is a definite concern among consumers.
On the other side of the coin, the Shark Apex DuoClean with Zero-M Technology is a proven winner. Users heap praises on the machine, such as:
- Exceptional Cleaning Performance;
- Powerful suction;
- The Zero-M self-cleaning technology
- Lifetime belts and filters;
- Easy to use Lift-Away feature overcomes the bulkiness of the vacuum when used as an upright;
- HEPA Filter and Anti-Allergen technology;
In comparison to the other Shark vacuums higher on the list, the Shark Apex DuoClean with Zero-M Technology is equal or slightly superior. The self-cleaning ability of the Zero-M technology certainly puts it ahead of the other models on the list.
The big drawback is the higher price of the Shark Apex DuoClean when compared with the others. Do the self-cleaning brush and roller systems offset the higher price? That is a decision that only you can make as you shop for your next vacuum.
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away, Model NV501
The Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away is not, in a strict sense, a pet hair model. However, in reviewing information from consumers and across the industry, it quickly became clear that this vacuum deserved a spot on the list.
You should expect certain things from a vacuum in the professional category. Power, reliability, and ease of use are some of these characteristics, and the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away doesn’t come up short. The usual list of Shark features coupled with exceptional power and maneuverability gets the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away a spot on this list.
Features that helped the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away make the list are:
- The Lift-Away technology that allows the body of the upright to be detached and used as a portable vacuum.
- Shark includes a caddy with this model that fits the body when removed from the upright frame for use as a canister vacuum.
- A swivel head allows quick and easy maneuvering in tight spaces.
- Extra attachments like the hard floor cleaning head that attaches to the extension wand make the Shark Rotator Professional versatile and adaptable.
- There is storage on the canister caddy for all the accessory tools, keeping them handy and in reach when cleaning.
- Sharks HEPA filtration and Anti-Allergen systems are well known for their efficiency and efficacy.
- The Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away has a 5-year warranty.
As good as this machine is, it does have some drawbacks. Among those most noted in comments from users are:
- There is no on-off switch on the handle.
- The vacuum head tends to plow when cleaning large debris piles, creating furrows that require multiple passes of the vacuum to clean.
- When the canister is attached to the caddy, it tends to topple when using the tube and wand.
- Some consumers were concerned about the quality of some of the plastic parts included with the vacuum.
- A washable filter rather than a disposable filter can be a maintenance problem for some users.
Most consumer comments that we surveyed focused on the power, ease of use, and the features of the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away. Just a few of those comments speak volumes about this remarkable machine.
- The Lift-Away feature and the included caddy make this an incredibly versatile machine.
- A long hose and wand coupled with the Lift-Away body allow cleaning in hard to reach areas.
- Works well on both carpet and hard floors
- The swivel head is a dream to use.
- The Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away is quiet.
There is no mention of the cost of the Shark Rotator Professional, and it is the cost that lands this vacuum a post on this list. It is easy to find this vacuum online for less than 200 dollars. Don’t let the price fool you. The Shark Rotator Professional Upright can hold its own against its bigger and more expensive brothers.
What it lacks in accessories and leading-edge technology, it makes up for with power and ease of use. If you are looking for a budget-conscious vacuum that can still deal with pet hair, this may be the vacuum for you.
Shark Ninja DuoClean Powered Lift-Away, Model NV801
What do you expect when you see the word “Ninja” associated with anything? Power. Speed. Quiet. That sums up the Shark Ninja DuoClean Powered Lift-Away vacuum. The Shark Ninja DuoClean is just one of the many Shark vacuums in the NV800 line up.
The Shark Ninja is lightest of the Shark Uprights to make this list. Coming in at just 14.5 lbs., the Shark Ninja is easy to maneuver and handle. It has a narrow profile from the front, allowing it to fit into spaces that many other Shark vacuums can’t access.
The feature list is rich as well.
- Shark’s Duo-Clean technology with dual brush rollers picks up the largest debris and the finest dust.
- Powerful motor and suction making cleaning carpets or Laminate Floors easy and fast.
- Lift-Away technology allows the canister to be removed from the vacuum frame and carried easily for cleaning hard to reach and high places.
- Industry-leading HEPA filter technology and Anti-Allergen seals provide dust-free environments.
- The Shark Ninja package includes the pet hair multi-tool.
Most consumer comments focused on the design features of the Shark Ninja DuoClean Lift=Away. Some of the most notable negatives cited were:
- The narrow cleaning head means longer vacuuming if you have a larger home.
- Many consumers found the vacuum to be top-heavy and prone to tipping when using the extension tube and hose.
- The lack of a power button on the handle was often mentioned
- Some consumers found the hose to be too short for effective use in high spots.
Shark users across the board seem to appreciate the value offered by the Shark vacuum line and the Shark Ninja DuoClean Powered Lift-Away. The pros of this vacuum mentioned in the comments center on the features offered by this model.
- This is a powerful vacuum that cleans well on both carpet and hardwood.
- Does a good job of lifting pet hair from the carpets.
- The top access to the brush roller makes maintaining the cleaning head a breeze.
- The low profile of the machine when it is laid down allows cleaning under furniture.
- The Shark Ninja is easy to maneuver in tight places.
What didn’t make the pro and con list is the washable filter. Some consumers found it to be an advantage, while others would prefer a disposable filter. Overall the Shark Ninja DuoClean Lift-Away scores well among consumers and is a top seller for Shark.
Despite the cons, most notably the narrow cleaning head, the Shark Ninja DuoClean Lift-Away makes this list based on its power, maneuverability, and its price. Easily found online at below 200 dollars, the Shark Ninja DuoClean may be a fit for those in smaller homes or apartments with pets.
Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum, Model ZU561
Another Shark vacuum featuring the Shark Zero-M technology to keep the brush rollers clear of hair while vacuuming. The Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum, model ZU561 has the Shark lift-away technology allowing the canister to be removed from the upright frame and carried away for ease of cleaning.
The light weight of the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum and the rich feature list that accompanies most Shark vacuums gets a place on the list for this Shark model. Unfortunately, the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum is not so light in the price department, which puts it further down on the list than other Shark models.
Among the features that are of note on the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum are:
- Zero-M Technology – Sharks Zero-M technology eliminates the need to clean the brush roller when dealing with pet hair constantly. The patented system consistently combs and cleans the brush roller for maintenance-free vacuuming.
- Lift-Away Features – With the touch of a button, you can lift the canister free of the vacuum frame and use it as a portable vacuum. The hose, wand, and attachments make cleaning hard to reach areas easily and you still have the superior power of the Shark Navigator Upright in your hands.
- HEPA Filtration – An onboard HEPA filter and Sharks Anti-Allergen Seals create a system that is efficient at trapping allergens. Rated at 99.9% efficiency, the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum rates a superior in air filtration efficiency.
- Light Weight – Weighing only 13.4 lobs, the Shark Navigator Upright packs massive power in a lightweight frame. The light weight makes the Navigator easy to use and quick to maneuver in tight spaces.
The list of negatives mentioned among users of the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum is surprisingly short. Among the most mentioned are:
- The Shark Navigator Upright vacuum doesn’t have any lights on the cleaning head, making it hard to see dirt and debris under furniture or in dim areas.
- Some users found the power cord to be too short, making it necessary to change the cord location in larger homes.
- The vacuum will only hold one of the accessories on the canister at a time, making it necessary to store the other accessories away from where you are using the machine.
Users that have purchased the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum seem to be pleased with their purchase overall. Many cite the many features of the vacuum as a plus.
- Powerful Suction
- HEPA filtration
- Lift-away features
- Zero-M brush and roller cleaning system
- Price Point
The price point is the one item keeping this vacuum from scoring a bit higher on this list. At just over 200 dollars, the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum. Notwithstanding the higher price point, this model from Shark offers exceptional cleaning power and technology.
Making the Decision
Whether you live with a long-haired Afghan Hound or a short-haired American Bulldog, dealing with the pet hair causes the same sorts of frustrations. Shark vacuums can help end that frustration to a large degree. We considered a wide range of features, options, and prices to make our selections for this list of best Shark vacuums for pet hair.
We considered price, efficiency, effectiveness, and features in making this list. One of the prime considerations was the additional accessories included with each vacuum. The accessories included with the Lift-Away system enhance the performance of the vacuum to a large degree.
Shark builds such a wide range of models with so many features and functions that it is hard to compare quickly and easily. Deciding while finding the right mixture of features, price, and functionality is very subjective. The models we selected are the best combination of these features and functions and we feel that they offer exceptional values.
The overall conclusion is that somewhere in the Shark vacuum line is one that will fit your needs. It may take some time and effort to find that vacuum. Whether the most important factor is price or features, Shark Vacuums has a model that can fit your needs.
The information provided in this list uses the best findings available. The conclusions are, of course, subjective. The hope is that this comparison and suggestions will help you make a more informed decision that will eventually lead you to purchase the vacuum that best fits your needs.