One of the hottest items in the vacuum cleaner market is water filtration vacuum cleaners. These vacuum promise superior cleaning with no bags, no filters to wash or change, or no bins to dump and clean. They sound like a dream come true!
If you have been hearing all the hype and think you might be interested in a water filtration vacuum cleaner, we have assembled our list of the six best water filtration vacuum cleaners to help you.
Why a Water Filtration Vacuum Cleaner?
There are several reasons a water filtration vacuum cleaner may be right for you.
- Allergen control – Water filtration vacuums promise a higher level of allergen control than conventional bagged or bagless vacuums.
- Will pick up both wet and dry messes – Wet filtration vacuums do one thing that conventional vacuums can’t do and that is pick up a mess or spill.
- Clog free cleaning – With no filters to clean, no bags to remove and replace, or no dust bins to dump and clean out, water filtration vacuums offer true clog-free cleaning
- The end of pet hair – The water filtration system is excellent at making quick work of pet hair.
- Less dust and other pollutants returned to the air in your home – The air returned to your home is clean, dry, and almost entirely free of allergens and dust.
If you find any of these reasons attractive, they considering a water filtration vacuum might be of interest. To help you make that decision, here are our top six picks for water filtration vacuums.
Before you Buy
Before you make your decision and purchase a water filter vacuum, there are some general pros and cons you should consider. A water filtration vacuum may not be for everyone. The cost of most of these vacuums makes it imperative that you do your research and understand what you are purchasing and have an idea of why you are spending the money.
No more filters
Some of the water filtration vacuums on our list do have extra filters as part of the design. Most of these designs place the added filtration after the water filtration which means much longer secondary filtration life. If you are trying to avoid the hassles and extra expense of filters, make sure that the model you choose doesn’t use secondary filters in their design.
Reducing allergens in the home is one of the great benefits of using a water filtration vacuum. The design of the filtration system on these vacuums ensures that even microscopic dust and allergens are trapped in the water before the air is sent back into the room. The designs using staged air conditioners also remove most of the moisture from the air leaving the vacuum.
Many of the models of water filtration vacuums on our list include a feature that allows you to use the vacuum to perform routine air purification by setting the vacuum on reduced speed. A built-in timer allows you to start the vacuum and allow it to circulate air without your attention for a specified time. Adding scented formulas and some antimicrobial agents to the water can further the air purification process.
More Cleaning Options
Water filtration vacuums by their design offer many more options for cleaning than a conventional vacuum. Most water filtration vacuums can easily remove small spills and limited amounts of standing water as part of their features. Several offer additional tools that allow you to wet clean hard surfaces and carpet with the same machine. One brand even offers onboard water heating as a feature.
Pets in the Home
If you live with one or more furry friends, you know that keeping up with the pet hair can be a major problem for most conventional vacuums. Water filtration vacuums meet this challenge with ease. The motorized powerheads and powerful suction on most of these machines easily remove pet hair. The water filtration system traps the pet hair and prevents clogging of filters.
Overall, water filtration vacuums are expensive. Even the cheapest are usually more expensive than a conventional budget vacuum. You should balance the cost with features and capability. If you are spending the kind of money that most water filtration vacuums cost, you want to get as many features and as much service from the machine as possible.
Most water filtration vacuums are much bigger than even conventional canister vacuums. The need to house two water tanks, motors and separators is the major reason for this size difference. If you have a large house with ample storage, a water filtration vacuum size may not be a concern. If your house is small or you live in an apartment the space requirements to use and store a water filtration vacuum may not make sense.
Water is heavy. When designing a machine that will contain and control water, you add more weight. Water filtration vacuums are heavy for a reason. Several liters of water and the weight of motors and tanks can add up quickly. Moving a water filtration vacuum upstairs or even on a multi-level surface home can be a challenge for even the most physically fit.
Our Top Pick
The Sirena water filtration vacuum cleaner comes in at the top of our list. Almost every review we looked at put this vacuum at or near the top of their list. The comments on the Sirena 2 Speed water filtration vacuum came in high as well. Almost all users who commented gave this water filtration vacuum extremely high marks.
The list of features and accessories is impressive as well. The two-speed motor gives you control over the type of cleaning and the surface you are cleaning. The powered brush-roller works well on carpets. The added features continue:
- Two hoses
- Crevice tool, brush tool, upholstery tool, inflation tool, floor brush
- Telescoping wand
- Elbow wand
- 21-foot power cord
- HEPA Filter for additional clean air capability
- Ten year limited warranty
Users of the Sirena water filtration vacuum are exuberant in their praise of this machine. A survey of consumers who use the Sirena vacuum consistently praise the unit saying:
- Beats our old Rainbow hands down
- The air smells so clean after we vacuum
- Love the fact that the water catches the fine dirt and doesn’t send it back into our home.
The one major drawback to the Sirena water filtration vacuum is the price. These vacuums come in at the top of the price list for water filtration vacuums and that can be a deal-breaker for many people. However, if you want all the features and all the power, you should consider the Sirena water filtration vacuum
Rainbow Model E2
The Runner Up
Coming in second on our list is the Rainbow Model E2. The Rainbow E2 is the most expensive water filtration vacuum on our list. That fact cost it the top spot. However, Its impressive list of features and its unmatched list of available accessories put the Rainbow Model E2 vacuum nest to the top. For those that have budget and love gadgets, this might be the vacuum for you.
If you are looking for a water filtration vacuum that will do much more than just clean carpets and laminate floors, the Rainbow E2 may be for you. The standard array of accessories that come with the E2 package is impressive enough because ti includes:
- Floor and Wall Brush
- Dusting Brush
- Upholstery tool
- Crevice tool
- Confined space cleaner and inflation tool
- Pet grooming tool
- Wet pickup and Extractor head
- Aerofresh bag for removing dusty air from pillows and cushions
- Refrigerator coil cleaner
- Eight-foot hose
- Stainless Steel wand
- 4/8 year warranty. 4 years on the system and 8 years on the motor/electronics.
In addition to this impressive list of included accessories, Rainbow has an extensive lineup of add-on tools that work with the Rainbow Model E2 to expand the cleaning capabilities of this machine.
Optional Accessories offered by Rainbow
- Power Nozzle – A powered rotating brush cleaning nozzle for deep cleaning carpets includes super bright LED headlights.
- Aquapmate – The Aquamate attachment takes the Rainbow Model E2 to the next level as a carpet cleaner. A wide-angle brush roller works the cleaning solution into the carpet and the powering vacuum sucks it nearly dry.
- RainJet – The RainJet attachment with interchangeable brush and sponge accessories makes cleaning hard surface floors a breeze. Trigger control application of cleaning solution and a self-contained solution tank mean less work to clean bigger areas.
- RainbowMate – The handheld power-driven brush accessory lets you get into tight and confined areas for powerful cleaning. Great for stairs and on upholstered furniture, mattresses, and even car interiors.
- MiniJet – The answer to deep cleaning carpets in small areas and on stairs as well as power cleaning upholstery or spot cleaning hard to manage problems such as pet stains.
- JetPad – The JetPad is a specialized hard surface tool that allows your Rainbow Model E2 to maximize the cleaning power on your hard surface floors. The JetPad system Includes two reusable microfiber cleaning pads.
The optional accessories are available at an extra cost. The cost of the optional accessories does add to the expense of the Rainbow Model E2, but the accessories extend the capabilities of the vacuum much further than just cleaning floors. These optional accessories are one of the most attractive features of this vacuum.
Users of the Rainbow Model E2 give this machine high marks. We found that the majority of Rainbow Model E2 users responded with comments like:
- Very easy to use!
- It does a fantastic job with pet hair.
- Two speeds let me control the power, depending on what I am cleaning.
- I love all the accessories.
The major complaint about the Rainbow Model E2 was the price. This vacuum is the most expensive water filter vacuum on our list and if you want the optional accessories, you must be ready to pay even more. Another downside that some users mentioned is the direct sales only model that Rainbow Vacuum uses. You must contact Rainbow Vacuums to schedule a demonstration and purchase one of their vacuums new.
Best Value Overall
Another vac that you probably won’t find on Amazon is the Quantum Vac. This vacuum is the king of “As Seen on TV” ads. While you may shy away from the often outrageous claims made on those types of TV commercials, you may want to stop and take another look at the Quantum water filtration vacuum.
Overall on web surveys of water filtration vacs, the Quantum Vac usually rates in the top 3 or 4 machines reviewed. In many ways, the Quantum Vac resembles the Rainbow E2. It isn’t just a surface resemblance, the Quantum Vac offers many of the same features as the Rainbow E2 and gets almost as good reviews.
As far as standard features, the Quantum Vac doesn’t disappoint.
- Upholstery brush
- Dusting brush
- Inflator tool
- Crevice tool
- Non-electric hose for wet cleaning
- Extra wand for wet use
- 10-foot regular vac chose with power rotating brush head
- 20-foot power cord
- 5-year warranty
- Adjustable power setting
- Leaf Blower attachment
- Micro silver technology
Quantum doesn’t offer all the additional options that are offered by Rainbow, but the list of included accessories is certainly impressive.
User comments are middle of the road. More than half come in with glowing ratings and the rest are average or above average. Pros listed by users of the Quantum water filtration vacuum include:
- The vacuum works great on pet hair on the carpet and upholstery
- Good Suction
- The Quantum is much lighter than the other water filtration vacuums
- No extra filters to clog
- The dusting tool works great.
- Doesn’t put a lot of fine dust back into the house like my old vacuum
On the downside, some users have experienced failures of the accessories, particularly the powerhead, and were dismayed to find that the company required that they pay for the shipping to return and get the replacement powerhead.
The Quantum Vac makes our list at number three as the Best Value Overall. The features. Power and reviews, coupled with the price, bring the Quantum Vac in at number 3 on our list. You can get more features, and you can spend more money, but we don’t think you can get as many features for this kind of money with another vacuum.
Bissell 7700 Complete
Best Unique Features
The Bissell makes our list at number 4. Overall, the reviews and comments on this machine by users across the internet put it in the middle of the pack with most other water filtration vacuums. The Bissell 7700 does have some interesting features that not found on other water filtration vacuums. These features are the main reason that Bissell ranked on our list.
The built-in water heater is one of the big differences in the Bissell 7700 and its rivals. When using the Bissell 7700 to clean carpets, not just vacuum, the system keeps the cleaning solution hot for better dirt lifting ability. An onboard water heater is a step above the coldwater carpet cleaning capability offered with some other water filtration vacuums.
The Bissell 7700 also uses a 3 stage filtration system to return on the cleanest air to the room after vacuuming. Triple filtration ensures that even the smallest particle of dust and allergens stay in the Bissell and don’t end up back in your home.
These aren’t the only outstanding feature of the Bissell 7700. The list of standard features and accessories includes:
- Crevice tool
- Dusting brush
- TurboBrush Tool
- 4” tool
- Bare floor tool
- Metal telescoping wand
- 4” tough stain tool
- Carpet cleaning tool
The Bissell 7700 also incorporates push-button controls for ease of use. The 18-foot power cords and 8-foot hose offer enough reach to clean most houses with having stop and move the power cord from plug to plug. The one-year limited warranty may seem a little less than impressive compared to some of the other vacuums in our list, but Bissell’s outstanding reputation for quality products helps offset the apparent lack.
The Bissell 7700 gets about equally mixed reviews from consumers who have used the vacuum. On the upper end, the reviews are stellar and include such comments as:
- I no longer get sick with allergies when I vacuum. The Bissell 7700 solved that problem.
- The wet cleaning feature for hard surface floors is fantastic.
- It does a fantastic job with pet hair.
- The accessories are wonderful.
- The carpet cleaning system is fantastic. I use it to clean my carpets and spot clean upholstery.
There are some reported problems with the Bissell 7700. Some users reported a lack of suction and some minor leaks at the spray nozzles when using the cleaning system. Complaints about Bissells customer service and repair service appear among many of the negative reviews.
Overall, the Bissell 7700 ranks 4th our list and gets the label for Best Unique Features. While not the most expensive vacuum on our list, the Bissell 7700 is not the least expensive either. If you are looking for a carpet cleaner that can also serve as a water filtration vacuum, the Bissell 7700 might fill the bill.
Kalorik Water Filter Vacuum
Best Budget Buy
The Kalorik Water Filtration Canister Vacuum makes our list at number 5 for several reasons. Overall it ranks higher than several of our other vacuums by users. The other reason it makes our list is the price point on this vacuum. The price alone makes it a good choice.
It is true that the Kalorik doesn’t offer as many features or accessories as the other vacuums on our list. However, for the price, the accessories and features seem like a good value. Features and accessories you can expect with a Kalorik water filtration vacuum include:
- Dust/Water full indicator
- Wet and dry vacuuming options
- Four-wheel caddy for extra maneuverability
- Telescopic metal wand
- 2 in 1 heavy duty floor brush
- Dusting brush
- Crevice tool
- Onboard storage for all accessories.
One thing that I find appealing about the Kalorik, apart from its price, is the vacuum itself. The body of the vacuum is high-strength ABS plastic that is tinted a leasing blue color. The water tank is clear so you can watch the vacuum as it works, trapping all the debris and dust that is coming through the hose from your floors. It is almost mesmerizing.
On the pro side, the comments are as good as for any vacuum we have reviewed.
- Great suction
- Great with pet hair
- Easy to assemble and operate
- Can be used with aromatherapy oils
- Works well on spills and small amounts of standing water
- For the money the best value in a water filtration vacuum available
On the con side, several comments stood out.
- Plastic construction not as durable as other vacuums
- The lack of wheels on the carpet brush makes it hard to use
- Customer service is terrible when there is a problem.
Overall, the Kalorik Water Filter Vacuum gets our Best Budget Buy position on our list of water filtration vacuums. It doesn’t have all the features and accessories of the other brands and it may lack a bit in the finer qualities of the tools, but for the price, it surely can’t be beaten.
Quantum X Upright
Best Upright Water Filtration Vacuum
If the thought of pulling and lugging around a large water filtration vacuum doesn’t seem attractive, the Quantum X upright vacuum may be the right choice for you. The upright configuration does have some advantages and also disadvantages to consider.
Quantum X is a true water filtration vacuum. It has an onboard water tank and operated on the same principles as the canister water filtration vacuums. There are no HEPA filters, paper filters, sponge filters or bags to deal with making the Quantum X and extremely ergonomic choice for a vacuum.
While it is hard to compare features between a canister style vacuum and an upright model, the list of features and accessories speaks well of the Quantum X.
- Works hard surface and carpet
- Powered motorized roller and brush powerhead
- Micro Silver reduces germs and bacteria
- Offers a 3-year warranty
- Powerhead telescopes 18 inches to reach under furniture and other hard to access places
- Will fit under a 4-inch space
- Includes a 10-foot extension hose
- Crevice tool
- Dusting brush
- Upholstery tool
Quantum offers several optional accessories that complement the cleaning capability of the Quantum X Upright Vacuum
The Quantum X gets good reviews from the consumers and users how commented on the sites we reviewed. Overall, the Quantum X scores above average with users and consumers. The pros mentioned most about Quantum X include.:
- Exceptional suction power
- No more filters to replace or clean
- Fragrances can be added to the water to freshen the home
- Great with pet hair
- Is a great spot cleaner for accidents and spills
- Wonderful filtration. No more dust in the house after vacuuming
Some users do report some issued with Quantum X and the company. Some of these include:
- Sometimes overheats on thick carpet
- The vacuum is heavy
- The accessories feel cheap and flimsy
If you prefer an upright to a canister and still want a water filtration vacuum, Quantum X is a good choice. Despite some of the negatives, it offers a good range of features and the convenience of an upright vacuum with the benefits of water filtration.
Shopping for Water Filtration Vacuums
When you start shopping for a water filtration vacuum, you are going to realize quickly that the options are limited. There may be several reasons for this and it a good idea to understand some of these reasons. Understanding the reasons may give you insight that will be valuable as you shop for a water filtration vacuum.
The water filtration vacuum systems are an emerging technology in the vacuum cleaner industry. Emerging technologies create two different possible reasons that the selection of water filtration vacuums is so narrow. First, new technologies mean bigger challenges for vacuum cleaner manufacturers. Bringing entirely new technology to the market is expensive and time-consuming.
Secondly, there is always a lag between the introduction of new technology and the demand from consumers. Many smaller manufacturers will wait to bring their model to market until the consumer side has grown enough to provide adequate support.
Introducing entirely new technology to an established market like vacuum cleaners is risky. Consumers are much more likely to chose a known and understood product over new technology that is not well understood. Consumer fear of new technology can cause an even longer lag in market support from consumers.
In the End
Cleanliness in your home may be a major concern. Is it a large enough concern to overcome some of the cost and other cons of water filtration vacuums? That is a decision you must make on your own after doing your research and investigation. I hope that this article has helped you along that path and that you have a clearer understanding of what to consider before you purchase a water filtration vacuum.